Thursday, April 9, 2009

New York Red Clam Chowder

I made this for my mom with bread bowls and we both LOVED it. I love clams but, New England chowder is just so unhealthy so when I found this recipe, I've been in heaven ever since. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do.


Ingredients:
~ 2 tsp canola oil
~ 1 med onion, finely chopped
~ 2 large yellow boiling potatoes (about 1 lb), peeled and cut int o med-size pieces
~ 2 cups canned chopped tomatoes, with their juices
~ 1 cup dry white wine (I buy white "cooking" wine)
~ 2 cups cold water
~ 1 tsp dried thyme leaves
~ salt and pepper
~ 2 cups chopped clams, with their juices
~ 2 T chopped fresh parsley leaves (I use dried)

Directions:
Heat the oil in a heavy 4 qt saucepan over med-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring until it begins to often. Stir in the potatoes, tomatoes, wine, water and thyme and season with salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to med-low, partially cover saucepan and simmer until potatoes are tender when pierced with a sharp knife, about 20 minutes. Add the clams and cook 10 min. longer. Add parsley and serve. Bread bowls are particularly good with this recipe.